Monday, April 23, 2012

The Art of Language

Part 1
I conducted this communicating experience with my boyfriend Danny where we had to hold a conversation for fifteen minutes,and I was not able to respond (he is not aware of the assignment at the time). To me, this part of the experiment was difficult. What was more difficult was that Danny would ask "How was your day?" or "What did you think of that?", where I HAD to respond, instead of "yes" or "no" questions. Well, we held a normal rapport conversation,and I was doing all the listening. i did observe Danny altered the way he was communicating. He would ask more questions, because it is not normal to have a conversation with no reciprocated communication. He would ask me "Is there something wrong?" and "What are you thinking of?". After the fifteen minutes were up, I had admitted to him about my experiment. The impressions he had were that maybe I was worried about a particular thing or that I was just plain careless on what he had to talk about.
 It is hard to imagine two different cultures communicating , and there would be a language barrier. Danny represent the speaking culture, and I would represent the nonspeaking culture.There is no doubt that one of the cultures would be misunderstood. The speaking culture would have the advantage on communicating complex ideas. Certain attitudes would arise against the nonspeaking culture such as uneducated, careless, passive, and there would be a lot of misunderstanding between the two.

Part 2
Now for this part of the experiment, it was also difficult to be able to go through the conversation by communicating ONLY by speech. It was REALLY difficult for me, because I am BIG on giving body movement and signals. For an example, when someone asks for direction I use my hand and hand signal to demonstrate. If the person needs to make a left I would demonstrate with my left hand.I do not know why, but it is a big strong habit of mine. Surprisingly, I was able to do the whole fifteen minutes of the experiment. 
We both came to conclusion that by speaking the way I did that I spoke insincere and how I talked with solely by speaking it was plain boring. It would be really hard to hold a conversation with other adults that way, because body language emphasizes and helps the ones we are communicating with on what we really mean to say and how to say it. Non speech language is important in communicating with other human.Yes, there are individuals in the American society that have trouble with body language -the blind. Those individuals who are blind cannot communicate like we do.It can help by showing concern i.e. showing facial expressions, teaching i.e. infants learn through modeling and observation, and it would help those who are deaf and cannot speak nor hear you i.e. reading your lips while you talk.
I have not encountered anyone having difficulty reading body language, but I believe there are people who do have difficulty with reading body language. An adaptive possession of reading body language is reading manipulation and what the person is REALLY trying to say (the person might say one thing, but may feel another way). It helps in understanding the human feelings and motives.

Part 3
If I had the chance to be able to write in Part 1's experiment, it would have been A LOT smoother. Writing  would have helped, because it is a form of communication versus not responding. We would have communicated and understood each other if writing was present. Writing helps a culture who develops and uses it by helping the individuals to the work force, learning, intellect, and the community. The written language can help cultures communicate in building relations with other countries (globalization).

10 comments:

  1. I too am the same way, i talk with my hands and also found that it was very difficult. But it made me understand how others might have it as well. also i felt that the other person that is trying to get what you are trying ot say had a difficult time as well because they werent sure ot just took it as something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa, I had a very difficult time with these very conversations trying to restrain myself from body language and any expression. It also made me understand that as well the importance how a conversation is held.

      Delete
  2. I'm the same way when it comes to hand gestures, but I found out that I use my hands just about as much as I talked. You had a very interesting experiment, I enjoyed reading it. It seems as though it would have been easier for everyone in part 1 of the experiment to use writing to communicate. You had great post, great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Z_ghara

      I wasn't that aware how I really communicate with others...using hand signals, pointing, gestures, facial expression,etc. Thank you so much I appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. I also talk allot with my hands and I really did not even realize it until this experiment. I told my cousin of the assignment the day before, and when I came home from work I just started the assignment. He started laughing half way through the second part of the experiment becuase since we were suppose to not using any hand movments he noticed I moved my hands allot which I did not even realize. I work with senior citizens who can no longer communicate verbally so using hand gestures and or facial expressions is very important. I do agree that two different cultures trying to communicate with a language barrier can cause their communication to become misunderstood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Krystle it was also hard for me too. I approached it being a piece of cake but I was completely wrong. Same here, I had to communicate with my partner (which he did not know) so it made it that much tougher.Gestures and facial expression would definitely help those individuals who cannot speak , so gestures ARE VERY IMPORTANT.

      Delete
  4. Your first two sections were excellent. Great description of the experiment and I appreciated reading about your partner's impressions. Good job analyzing what these conversations represented in terms of two different cultures interacting.

    The third section needed to be expanded. You have a great writing style and some great contributions. I would have liked to have read a complete exploration of these ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Professor Rodriguez, I wasn't done with part #3, and thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got it. I apologize for reviewing too early.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete